Born in 1988, Youri Visser-Benazeraf currently lives and works in Paris.
The serie Noble Materials is a search towards the use of colour and its connection with the canvas.
It involves bonding extremely simple materials such as rope, untransformed cotton cloth, and pure pigment.
At the border of conceptual art and strict minimalism, the finality of this serie is to reduce and divide into precise sequences all the movements in order to erase the superfluous agitation and “noise” that could harm the components of the work.
Youri assembles the frame, stretches the canvas and applies his own mixture of a specifically created medium that doesn’t grind the light of the pigment.
The rope, with the use of a stitching movement, allows him to make the connection between the painted surface and the canvas.
About the painted surface, Youri is searching for the weights of colours for each canvas, which provokes a different composition and balance for each one of them.
All the elements are visible to the observer, the wood of the frame in transparency of the cotton cloth, the pure pigment and the natural rope. At the end, all the conceptual and visual steps are interconnected and the observer’s view is manipulated to be minimalised. Nothing remains but the colours’ density.
More broadly, the conceptual work of Youri comes from the idea of clumsy repair exercised in a repetitive way in order to give the art piece a depth of soul.
Youri Visser-Benazeraf was born in Paris in 1988. From the age of 11, he was diagnosed as EIP (intellectually precocious child) and abandoned the classical scholar cursus to focus on cinema, literature and art.
His mother, founder of the Euro-inter-art association for artistic sponsorship, reinforced his taste for art and Youri, self-taught, started with abstract drawings, figurative paintings and neo-expressionism. His line of work and his style finally began with the use of pigments and textile.
An important turnaround in his personal life forced him to abandon the classical materials and Youri started arte povera, minimalism and conceptual art when his father, entrepreneur at the origin of the largest precedents against corruption, cartels and trusts worldwide, lost his business. With nothing except the financial debts, Youri continued to create with whatever he could find and in order to keep improving his technics.
In 2011, after obtaining a cinema degree, Youri started his career as a professional visual artist. His biography has a major role in his works.
-Selected by Anna Efstathiou for DecideART platform, London, UK
- "CHAPTER I" group exhibition organized by Constantine, Anjulatos, (Art Number 23) London, United Kingdom
- XI Florence Biennale 2017 (Biennial Foundation), Florence, Italy
- 2017 Group Show at Primitive Gallery, Tel Aviv, Israel -Support Grant for Artistic Research, Israeli Ministry of Culture
- "28" solo show, Florentine4 Space, Tel Aviv, Israel
- Group show at The Crypt Gallery, Lily, Brooke Chroma Collections, London, England
- Solo show at "Deli" for the 1st anniversary, collective "Clouds, Tel-Aviv, Israel
- "Accessible Art Fair" in the selection "Curated by", Brussels, Belgium, Chief Commissioner: Stephanie Manasseh
- Special prize under 25 years, One-month exhibition at the "Romanian Institute", Chief Curator: Igor Zanti
- "Arte Laguna Award" at "Venice Arsenal", Venice, Italy 2013 - Arts Fair "Les Hivernales de Paris", Paris, France
- Salon des Arts Hauts-de-Seine, Hauts-de-Seine
- Exhibition "Moulin Fidel", Plessis-Robinson, France
-10th Salon of professional artists, Plessis-Robinson, France